History

Detroit Mercy Law was founded in 1912.

Detroit Mercy Law has prepared students for the practice of law in the heart of downtown Detroit at the Riverfront Campus since opening its doors in 1912. Our approach to legal education over the years has centered on intellectual rigor, service to others, and inclusivity.

Detroit Mercy Law’s history is marked by Jesuit and Mercy values. The School of Law is part of University of Detroit Mercy. The University of Detroit, originally known as Detroit College, was founded by the Society of Jesus in 1877 as the first Catholic college in Detroit. In 1990, University of Detroit consolidated with Mercy College of Detroit, which was founded by the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, to form University of Detroit Mercy.

Class Composites

Class Composite Photo

Our class composites show alumni throughout our history.

Learn More

Building Portraits

Henry H. Tarrant

Our portraits display notable individuals throughout our history.

Learn More

Building Art

Justice? Carlos Lopez

Our artwork represents ideals that have informed our history.

Learn More