Apply for Aid

Applying for Aid

Once you've reviewed the Cost of Attendance and Funding Options pages, your next step is to apply for the appropriate financial aid that fits you and your needs. Please review the materials below to see if there is anything else you need to do.

Federal Financial Aid

Open All | Close All


    Federal Financial Aid Process

    In order to receive federal financial aid, there are a few steps you must complete. 

    1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as early as October 1st for the following year's aid.
      • Detroit Mercy Law Federal Code: 002323
      • University of Windsor Federal Code (for dual degree students): G06689
    2. Receive and Review your Student Aid Report (SAR)
      • If you provided an email address on your FAFSA, you will receive this via email. If you don't see it check your SPAM/Junk folder. 
      • Carefully review the information on the SAR and follow the directions for making corrections, if required.
    3. Receive and Review Your Award Notification
      • Expect to receive your award notification by email when your financial aid file becomes complete. The emails will be sent to official Detroit Mercy student email accounts. Students will use Titan Pass to access student account information, including financial aid awards. 
      • You can "accept", "decline", or reduce the amount of federal aid offered.
    4. Complete Additional Federal Student Loan Requirements at
      • Entrance Counseling:
        • If you have not previously received federal student loans at the graduate level, the Federal government requires you to complete entrance counseling to ensure that you understand the responsibilities and obligations you are assuming.
        • If you have previously received federal student loans but have not received them at Detroit Mercy Law, we encourage students to complete the counseling again. Terms may have changed since you last completed this
      • PLUS Credit Counseling 
        • PLUS credit counseling is required if the U.S. Department of Education has informed you that you have adverse credit history and you have either obtained an endorser or documented extenuating circumstances to the satisfaction of the U.S. Department of Education.
      • Loan Agreement(s) - also known as Master Promissory Note (MPN)
        • The Master Promissory Note is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the U.S. Department of Education. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan(s). 
        • There are separate loan agreements for the Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan and for the Graduate PLUS loan. If you think you will be taking out both, please do both.
    5. Request for Additional Information
      • Some applications require that additional information be submitted and reviewed before it is complete. Please respond promptly to all requests.

    You are encouraged to apply for federal financial assistance BEFORE you have been admitted to the School of Law; funds are not committed until you officially enroll. 


    Helpful Hints for Federal Aid

    Read and follow directions carefully on your FAFSA. Failure to do so may cost you time in processing and could delay your financial aid award.

    • Complete your FAFSA as early as October 1. The sooner you complete the FAFSA the easier it will be to resolve any issues.
    • You will use your prior prior year (PPY) information on your FAFSA. In other words, if you are completing the FAFSA for the 2019-20 academic year, you will use your tax information for 2017
    • If possible, use the IRS retrieval tool to prefill some of the questions in the FAFSA. This will save you time and may reduce the likelihood that you will be selected for verification.
    • If you are selected for verification, you will need to submit additional materials such as an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
    • Respond immediately to all follow-up requests.
    • As a law student you are considered to be Independent in terms of your FAFSA even if you are living with family or under your parents' insurance. Detroit Mercy Law does not require your parents' tax information.


Open All | Close All


    Detroit Mercy Law Scholarships

    1L Detroit Mercy Law Scholarships

    There is no scholarship application required to receive a Detroit Mercy Law scholarship as a first-year JD student. Applicants who apply for admission by February 1 are prioritized for these scholarships. Awards after this deadline are limited by the availability of funds.

International Students

Open All | Close All


    All International Students

    Non-U.S. citizens do not qualify for U.S. Federal Financial Aid programs unless the applicant is also a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. (“Green Card”). 

    1. If you do not qualify for U.S. federal student aid we advise that you check with your home country to see if loans to study in the U.S. are available.
    2. Next, some U.S. lenders offer credit-based educational loans to international students if they apply with a credit-worthy U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen co-borrower. If you are able to secure a qualified co-borrower we urge you to do so and consider loans of this type, because approval and more favorable terms will be more likely.
    3. If you are an international student seeking to borrow without a co-borrower you will find fewer lenders from which to choose. The lender listed below does not require a U. S. citizen, permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen co-borrower, however, their interest rates and other terms may be less favorable. Certain restrictions apply as noted.
      • MPower Financing: Offers loans to eligible international students, who are enrolled in a degree program and are within two years of graduation.

    Canadian Students

    University of Detroit Mercy is an approved professional university outside of Canada. We suggest Canadian applicants contact financial aid/loan institutions in Canada their appropriate Provincial and Territorial Student Assistance Offices for information on loans, scholarships, bursaries.