The 2012 Symposium, titled “The Future of Intellectual Property,” was held on March 9, 2012 at the Detroit Athletic Club, and consisted of four panels covering the topics of: The Future of Patent Law, The Future of Trademark Law, The Future of Copyright, and The Future of International Intellectual Property Law.
A special thank you to our distinguished panelists, which included:
The Future of Patent Law:
- Judge Avern Cohn - United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- Dr. Saby Ghoshray Ph. D., President - Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies; Director - World Compliance Co.
- Denise Glassmeyer, Shareholder - Young Basile Hanlon & MacFarlane P.C.
The Future of Trademark Law:
- Tim Gorbatoff, Chief Intellectual Property Counsel - General Motors
- Glynn S. Lunney, Jr., McGlinchey Stafford Professor of Law -Tulane University Law School
The Future of Copyright Law:
- Robert Brauneis, Professor of Law; Co-Director of the Intellectual Property Law Program; Co-Director of the Dean Dinwoodey Center for Intellectual Property Studies; Member, Manging Board, Munich Intellectual Property Law Center - George Washington University Law School
- Jessica Litman, John F. Nickoll Professor of Law - University of Michigan Law School
- Marybeth Peters, Former United States Register of Copyrights
The Future of International Intellectual Property Law:
- Myra J. Tawfik, Professor of Law -University of Windsor School of Law (Windsor Law)
- Peter K. Yu, Kern Family Chair in Intellectual Property Law -Director, Intellectual Property Law Center - Drake University Law School
- Michele J. Woods, Associate Register for Policy and International Affairs - United States Copyright Office
The moderators for the 2012 Symposium:
- Michael P. Brennan, Principal - Harness Dickey
- Charlie Rutherford - Law Offices of Charles R. Rutherford; Retired Shareholder - Dykema Gossett, PLLC
- Howard B. Abrams, Professor of Law - University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
Please click here for a copy of the 2012 Symposium program containing more information on our distinguished moderators and panelists.
Our 2011 Symposium on the topic of "Celebrating an Anniversary: A Twenty-Year Review of Justice Clarence Thomas' Jurisprudence and Contributions as an Associate Justice on the U.S. Supreme Court" was held on March 11, 2011. We were honored to have this discussion moderated by Justice Brian Zahra of the Michigan Supreme Court and Judge Christopher Murray of the Michigan Court of Appeals, along with the outstanding contributions from our panelists.
Our distinguished panel of speakers
(left to right) Ralph Rossum of Claremont McKenna College, Christopher Smith of Michigan State University, Lee Strang of The University of Toledo, Ilya Somin of George Mason University, UDM School of Law Dean Lloyd Semple, keynote lunch speaker John Eastman who is Justice Thomas' former clerk and the former dean and current Donald P. Kennedy Chair in Law at Chapman University School of Law, Scott Gerber of Ohio Northern University, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law graduate Shaun Springer, Jonathan Entin of Case Western Reserve University, J. Richard Broughton of University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, and Richard Albert of Boston College.